Artist MaDora Frey joins Joe and Matthew at her 2023 installation in whitespec at Atlanta’s Whitespace Gallery. They discuss her journey from painting and the influences on her work, including the unique environment of her youth. Mirrors are front and center. Personal news is shared. Art speak is kept to a minimum.
(Un)required Resources For This Episode
- Whitespace Gallery
- Review of In Plein Air by Pam Longobardi at Burnaway
- Robert Smithson at the holtsmithsonfoundation.org
- “Incidents of Mirror-Travel in the Yucatan” at Artforum
- “Ab-Ex and Disco Balls” by Amy Sillman in Artforum
- Katharina Grosse at Artnet
- “Why A.I. Artist Refik Anadol was the Real Breakout Star of the 65th Grammy Awards” at Artnet
Who Is MaDora Frey?
MaDora Frey, originally from Georgia, employs a diverse artistic practice to explore her romantic regard for both the natural and built environment and her search for the sublime. Frey’s work takes the form of temporary installations created outdoors, of which only a photograph remains, large-scale public works, and studio works.
She received her MFA in painting, magna cum laude, from the New York Academy of Art and her BFA, with a concentration in drawing and printmaking, from Auburn University. Additionally, Frey studied at the Florence Academy, Florence, Italy. Her work is held in numerous private collections.
Bio excerpted from MaDoraFrey.com. Images courtesy of the artist.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Leave a Reply